People ask me. "What about gay adoptions? Interracial? Single Parent?" I say. "Hey fine, as long as it works for the child and the family is responsible." My big stand is this: Every child deserves a home and love. Period.

Dave Thomas.Founder of Wendy's


"To be ignorant of what happened before you were born is to be ever a child."- Cicero

Sealed records are a form of child abuse.--Sharon Kaplan, BSW, MS, "adoptive" mother, "Parenting Resources," Tustin, CA



Needing to connect to ones biology is so instinctive, that people when meeting your adoptive child will tell you, "Oh look! She has your smile" or "look, he has your beautiful hair," knowing full well that there is no biological connection, but sensing the importance that your child needs to know that they look like someone.
Open Adoptive Parent

"In all of us there is a hunger, narrow and deep, to know our heritage, to know who we are and where we have come from. Without this enriching knowledge, there is a hollow yearning. No matter what our attainments in life, there is a vacuum, an emptiness and a most disquieting loneliness!" - Alex Haley, Author


"Adoption Loss is the only trauma in the world where the victims are expected by the whole of society to be grateful" - The Reverend Keith C. Griffith, MBE

Friday, June 27, 2008

What's YOUR Adoption Story?????

8 comments:

Miki4w said...

This is really nice! Now everyone can see what an Awesome Search Angel you are!!!!!!

My story Hhmm.... Well I have always known I was adopted! My Adoptive parents told me very young! I think about the age of 10 maybe 11 is when I truly realized what " Adoption" meant! ...

I did not truly search correctly, till Nov 07! When I fell upon the adoption community on Myspace! Not long after making a searching page is when I found you !!!!!! Thank God too because I would have never figured it out! That is when with a little info and your amazing talent, that you located my Birth Mothers info! Which I must add only took 7 days!!!

December 22nd 2007 I reunited with my Birth Mother in NY city thanks to you!

Thank you ! Again and again! Luv ya! Michelle! A.K.A Miki :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

ok I think I got this. . Take three...I was apopted at birth and also have always known I was adopted. I had very little info on my birth parents. I was given ages and physical discription of both parents and that's about it. I have always wanted to search, but ran into dead ends everytime. When I was 21 I became very serious about it. I joined an adoption support group in hopes of getting some ideas on how to search. The support group was good, but I felt surrounded by alot of bitter birth partents and adoptees. The info on how to search was difficult and expensive. I was very freaked out about the numerous bad reunion stories. I put my search on the back burner but never stopped hoping I would find my family. Than along came Laura! I could not believe that within a couple of hours she had birth parents last names! I was in shock. Within another hour she had the names of 5 possible women who could be my birth mother. I fell to the floor. This was in January. What we realized is there was no way to confirm which woman she was without more non id info. I wrote the courts and received the "missing Link" on June 21. In the past when I wrote for my non id, the info was about a page long. This time they sent me ten pages. I could not beleive how much there was in my file all these years. My birth mother repeatedly tried to update her information and medical history. The key I needed was her birth date. The non id did have a matching birth date with one of the women Laura had located. I called her the very next day. Here is where it gets crazy, wonderful and everything in between. A young girl answered the phone who turns out to be my 14 year old sister!! To make a very long story a litte shorter, my birth Mom called me back the next day. She said i've been brought back from the dead. Turns out when I was seven years old she called the adoption agency to update medical info., they told her I had been killed in a car accident. Now I was in a car accident at seven, but only suffered minor bumps and bruises. She never accepted that I was dead. She had named me Lisa Marie at birth and my adopted parents did not have that information, but also named me Lisa Marie. She was told after my birth she would never be able to have more children. Pure miracle that at 41 she become pregnant and had my sister. My race has also been a big mystery. Growing up I was always told I was German and Italian just like my adopted parents. This has never sat right with me. Sorry, but I do not look "Part Italian". One of the first questions I asked my birth mother was about my race. Suprise I'm not Italian! She is full Scottish and my birth father is Belizean. He is from Belize and possibly lives there today. Wow never guessed Belizean. So exciting. At one point my birth mother and I lived in the same small city and vacationed in the same hotel in the same week.It's crazy. So much more to tell, but where we are at right now is talking on the phone often, trying to stay level headed and realizing we are strangers who need to get to know one another. She is very sweet and fun to talk to. We live about a state away and may meet for the first time in August. At this point we are not another tragic reunion, nor do we plan to be. We both have the same religious belief and believe God has brought us together at the right time. Laura there are no words to describe what you have done for me. For the first time in my 36 years I do not feel as if i'm "disconnected". Thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll try to make this short(er). My Mom is the one that was adopted and I have known all my life that she was. I always wanted to know where I came from and our back ground, because there was always a big question mark on my Mom's side. Anyway I had pressed my Mom to look for years and years. Finally I took it into my own hands with some info that she knew.
I was 27 pregnant with my 1st child and wondering about medical back ground. I found some info but nothing I could move forward with. Now I am 32 and one day out of nowhere the urge to search for her came with full force. I had to search again, and it had to be NOW!
I was doing pretty well and then walls went up. I was contacted by a search angel from a site I posted on. (NOT LAURA) She was going in all the wrong directions. I gave her a # I found, and it was my great Uncles. She called and then had the last name and phone # of my grandma. She contacted her and wouldn't give me her info. It was pure torture!!!! I then found Laura and told her what this woman had done. She was so upset and helped me on the spot. She was able to find my Grandma's # in minutes!! Laura saved my sanity! My Mom, my Husband, our two boys and I are meeting her and family this weekend. Crazy thing she has two kids....but they are adopted! Laura thank you from the bottom of my heart! You have helped me fill the void I have always felt in my life.

Mz. B. said...

So proud of you Laura. Keep up the good work. Everytime I talk to you I learn something or someone new. You are truly an adoption angel! Thank you!

Your newly found in 2004 biological sis,

Anonymous said...

I am still in the process of documenting my search but, suffice to say, without Laura I may not have found my brother. I am very grateful for all of her help and kindness, and for letting me "cry on her shoulder" when I found out that my first mother had passed away.

Can't thank you enough Laura!!

My story is here: http://myspace.com/thankyoumother

E. Scott Swanson said...

hey I have a blog on here too about this! I need to get back to work on it :)

http://escottswanson.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

My adoption Story. Well needless to say its not a fantasy. I grew up with wonderful adoptive parents, but at age 18 found out that both of my birth parents were mentally ill. Very sad to hear especially with all the years of hoping for a great reunion. I have still been so blessed with all the information I have uncovered and people I have met in the journey. Also without Laura's help I would never have accomplished so much in my searching. Thanks Laura!! You are really the best! Love the new blog and check out my blog also at http://adopteeworld.blogspot.com/.